Dausa District was constituted on 10 April 1991 by separating four tehsils, namely Dausa, Baswa, Sikrai, & Lalsot from Jaipur district. Mahwa Tehsil of Sawai Madhopur was included in this district on 15 August 1992. Prior to 1991, Dausa was a part of Jaipur district. Dausa is located in the Dhundhar region of Rajasthan and forms the north-eastern boundary of the state. This place was under the rule of Chouhan Rajputs and Badgurjars in the 10th century AD. Dausa was the capital of Dhundhar at that time. Chouhan ruler Raja Soodh Dev ruled the place from 996 AD till 1006 AD. From 1006 AD till 1036 AD, the place was under the rule of Raja Dule Rai.
Dausa is named after a hill near the city that was called Devgiri. On the top of hill is situated a fort, built by Badgujar kings, who were the orininal rulers of this area. Later, Dausa was given by Chauhans to Kachwahas, but the centre of their power shifted to Amber. When Akbar went to Ajmer as a pilgrim to Khwaja Moinuddin Chisti in 1562, he stayed in Dausa and met with Rupsi Baragi, Hakim of Dausa at the time and brother of Bharmal. Agriculture is the main occupation of the people of Dausa. The main crops of the district are wheat, bajra, rapeseed, mustard and groundnuts.
During the struggle of India’s Independence, many freedom fighters belonged to Dausa. Late Shri Ram Karan Joshi and Late Shri Tikaram Paliwal were among them. After Independence, Late Shri Tikaram Paliwal became the first Chief Minister of Rajasthan while Late Shri Ram Karan Joshi was the elected as the first Panchayati Raj Minister.