Prior to 1991, Dausa was a part of Jaipur district. When Jaipur was reconstituted, Dausa became a separate district along with Lalsot, Sikar and Baswa. In 1992, Mahwa Tehsil was also included in Dausa district. Before that,Mahwa was a part of SawaiMadhopur.
Dausa is located in the Dhundhar region of Rajasthan and forms the north-eastern boundary of the state. This place was under the rule of ChouhanRajputs and Badgurjarsin the 10th century AD. Dausa was the capital of Dhundhar at that time. Chouhan ruler Raja SoodhDev ruled the place from 996 AD till 1006 AD. From 1006 AD till 1036 AD, the place was under the rule of Raja DuleRai.
Dausa is surrounded by five Lord Shiva temples namely Neelkanth temple, Gupteshwar Mahadev temple, Somnath temple, Sahajnath temple and Baijnath temple, and hence, the place was named Dausa. Dausa is a Sanskrit word which means, ‘as beautiful as heaven’.